You buy a new pair of shoes, phone case, wallet, or a number of other items. Well, after these items were made they were stored safely in warehouses and sent out with distribution centers!
A warehouse and distribution center can often times get cluttered, start running slower, and lose business because of these shortcomings. These are the top tips for keeping your warehouse and distribution center running at full capacity!
The difference between warehouses and distribution centers
For the average, everyday person, there may not seem like there is a difference between a warehouse and distribution center. The opposite is actually true. Warehouses and Distribution Centers are two totally different places living in the same world.
- The main difference between a warehouse and distribution center is how long they hold products. A distribution center is in charge of getting the needed products out as fast as possible; on the other hand, a warehouse can hold product for years.
- A distribution center offers the company the ability to make the products, package, and send out the product.
- A warehouse is for internal usage only.
While warehouses and distribution centers are totally different in the ways they operate, the items needed to run successfully and smoothly are similar.
1. The latest technology! As a society, we all know the latest technology and digital innovations give us an advantage over other companies. There is excellent technology out there, so take advantage of this opportunity.
A distribution center can do this from making sure there is an Advanced Shipping Notification system. This keeps track of all order you receive and send out and more.
Furthermore, warehouses are no longer meeting the needs of the future. A study shows an average warehouse inventory is more than 50 years old with a height of less than 20 feet. This is severely under logistics recommendations.
2. Keep Your Place Organized!
The best way to organize your warehouse and to keep items going in and out of your distribution center is with industrial storage solutions. The first step is to map out a flow chart of the items being processed through the warehouse and distribution center.
The next thing to do is find the best storage. Spacesaver ActivRAC is the perfect industrial storage solutions. ActivRAC comes in three different storage units.
- ActivRAC 7 - this is for very small warehouses and internal uses. This holds 7,000 pounds of products.
- ActivRAC 16P - This is a common industrial storage solutions inside all warehouses and distribution centers. This storage unit holds 16,000 pounds of products.
- ActivRAC 30P - This is the largest and hold the most out of the three units. It can hold over 30,000 pounds of products.
3. How will you manage inventory?
Yes, you want a ton of new products constantly coming in and out or being stored for a long period of time; however, how can you keep track of all of this? The disadvantages of holding too much is:
- A change in demand. You might have an item hot on the market now, six months from now, it may be obsolete.
- The amount of clutter you’ll collect and eventually lose things.
- You could hurt your money more with more inventory.
These tips are some of the easiest ways to keep your warehouse and distribution center running its very best.
Midwest Storage Solutions, Inc., can provide a number of different industrial storage units for the warehouse and distribution industry. For more information, contact us today.